Fight Aging and Reduce Pain with Increased Nutrition
Increased Nutrition to Fight Aging & Pain
Shared by Dr. John Wertish
As we age our ability to increase our nutrition is a key factor in staying out of pain. Stress damages various cell components and influences numerous cellular processes linked to aging. Increasing our antioxidants dietary intake has been provided to reduce the oxidative stress level in model organisms. The optimal source of antioxidants might come from diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Diet has significantly impact on physiological well-being, and high intake of vegetables has been proved to be beneficial in aging and age-related diseases. Cabbage, I thought, was only used in coleslaw. Cabbage can be delicious and nutritious. It also contains numerous phytochemicals such as phenolics, glucosinolates, vitamins, and anthocyanins to benefit our health. Eat well and try this recipe out.
- 1 head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim the bottom off the cabbage and cut it in half lengthwise. Then cut it into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. If possible, it helps to do this in a wide shallow bowl with a flat bottom.
- Dip each cabbage slice on both sides in the marinade. Place the slices on a sheet pan in a single layer. They should not be touching or overlapping.
- Roast the cabbage for 20-25 minutes until browned in spots and caramelized at the edges.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Zhang N, Jiao S, Jing P. Red Cabbage Rather Than Green Cabbage Increases Stress Resistance And Extends the Lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans. Antioxidants (Basel). 2021 Jun 8;10(6):930. doi: 10.3390/antiox10060930. PMID: 34201067; PMCID: PMC8228718
When you are looking for a Chiropractor near you that you can trust, choose one who will not only help you avoid back pain while sitting but who will also guide you to living a healthier lifestyle to keep you out of pain. Our McKinney Chiropractors, located near West Ridge, near the corner of S. Stonebridge Dr. and Eldorado Pkwy., will teach you what the research says about Increased Nutrition to Fight Aging and why we should eat a better diet, move more and have more positive thoughts.